Saturday 31 December 2011

20 Questions for a New Year’s Eve Reflection

Taken from (in) Courage

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?

I would have to say that I cannot think of one magnificent joyous moment that happened this year to make me say that it was the single best thing, but having James seizure free throughout the year has to be the best thing of course, and I am so grateful that his meds are controlling his seizures.

2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?

 Home Educating has been the most challenging of all.

It has always, I have to say, been easy.  As my eldest two (13 and 11) have got older it has been more challenging.  I know of lots of families who have older and younger children who manage to home educate, so I do not want to appear to put anyone off every trying or doing this.  But my own circumstances changed in a way that I felt, sorry, we all felt, that school maybe the better option for them.

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Again, like the first question, no one event stands out, joy of course for James being seizure free as in Q1, and joy all year around at having my family around me, and seeing my children flourish, despite some hardships and setbacks.

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?

That would be not feeling confident enough to HE anymore.

5. Pick three words to describe 2011.
Emotional, Challenging  and  Revitalising.

6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2011 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).

As above

7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2011 (again, without asking).
As above

8. What were the best books you read this year?
The Bible, The Happiness Project and fictional, The Cupcake Cafe.

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?

My husband and children.

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?

Not HEing my oldest two.

11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?

I am not sure I have, still working on that one. Maybe not expecting everyone and everything to be perfect.

12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?

My faith in God being restored. After first discovering that James had Epilepsy, I was angry with him, I had done all I could for my child, why him,  why my lovely little boy?  I know some have it a lot worse, I so know that, but at the time I was in shock and had to take it out on someone - and it was God.  It has taken a while, but now I realise how much I need Him in my life.

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
? Got fatter

14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?

My relationship has grown with my children, accepting their want or need for school when I am against it has bonded us in a way I never thought would happen (despite the fact that they do appear a bit alien to me at times with lots of "school" type behaviour and talk). Also with James, accepting he has different needs and his way is a lot different from my other two when they were younger. 

My husband-  I have such great pride and respect for him in the job he does, and not just what he is doing but how well he is progressing.

An old friend -  we didn't speak for years, having been close once, and that friendship has been rekindled this year, and I feel confident in what I do because of this person, because she is such an inspiration. I don't see her that much, so thankful for on line communication.

15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?

I enjoy keeping home and  being a wife and mum.  Since leaving the comfort of the Home Ed World, I am not so much surrounded by stay at home mums, so I feel a bit out there with this.   But it is the best thing I have ever done and am still doing.  I have so much respect for mothers staying at home, home educating or not, it seems to be very much under rated in this day and age.  I love it!

16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?

Again, home edding.

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?

Farmville, although I have to say, when I have felt stressed, this Virtual Farm of mine has made me feel relaxed, so not necessarily a time waster.  So I would probably I would say fretting over what people think/say/feel about me, and my decisions,  family and so called friends, that is the biggest time waster of all. Some people will just never like me or get on with me or even begin to understand me, so whats the point, worse though when it is your own family (not immediate of course).

18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?

Dumping the dish cloth and spending time with my kids.  I now class housework in my "me" time and call it therapeutic.

19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?

Things do not always go as planned, people are not always what they seem and that not everyone will always listen to your side of the story.  On a more positive note, LOVE CONQUERS ALL!

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2011 for you.


I have used this following verse to see me through many things this year.

1 Corinthians 13: 4-7
 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Happy New Year
Louise Jane x

No comments:

Post a Comment